[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Nov 30 15:28:54 EST 2005

>Just out of curiousity, is this Moby Dick discussion really
about a case
>of censorship, or just parents not wanting elementary,
middle, or high
>school aged children reading certain novels?

In the ALA list, they usually give a very brief account of
the circumstances - they run the range from parents wishing
to remove books from school or public libraries, from class
rooms, from required or optional lists of book to report on -
you name it.

I find the removal from libraries the worst, because that is
not 'protecting' your own child, but removing something from
everyone. And yes there are bookstores, but one thing about
the library is it's free and the other is, you can read the
book IN the library and not risk having it at home.

It's true that with our technology and our roaring global
commercial book trade, it would be hard to 'really' ban
something so that nobody could ever read it. But I find
fettering the minds of anyone 'for their own  good'
repugnant.

Such books were not around when I was a teen [a long time
ago, believe me!], but if I could have read a decent young
adult novel with a gay character who coped imaginatively and
successfully with life, my own life would have been quite
different. Gay themed books that are sympathetic to gay
characters are often the target of the banners. Perhaps this
is special pleading.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant