[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 12:22:32 EST 2005

Jeffrey Shoulson wrote:

>>While I appreciate Jeffery Hodges interesting
speculations about the reasons Plano had for wanting
to ban Moby Dick, I suspect that, as in most cases of
literary censorship, those seeking to condemn Melville
had nothing like the intimate knowledge of the novel
that Jeffery has. They probably didn't even read it
and were alarmed by something as ridiculous as the
title's potentially "obscene" term!<<

Well, this is precisely why we need "professional"
censors. Imagine the damage done to young, plastic
minds if Melville had chosen some other, less
obviously obscene title.

The book would then have slipped past those amateurs
in Plano!

As an example of my professional ability, I note the
possibly obscene implication in Shoulson's use of the
expression"intimate knowledge" to describe my
familiarity with Moby Dick. Just to be safe, we'd
better bowdlerize that.

In fact, nobody should even be reading this email,
tainted as it is with a touch of the obscene. Hmmmm...

Anyway, there being a need for censors with acute
reading skills, I offer my services to governments
willing to pay and hope that Jeffrey Shoulson will
provide me a glowing letter of recommendation.

Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley