[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Wed Nov 30 14:31:37 EST 2005

While I appreciate Jeffery Hodges interesting speculations about the
reasons Plano had for wanting to ban Moby Dick,  I suspect that, as
in most cases of literary censorship, those seeking to condemn
Melville had nothing like the intimate knowledge of the novel that
Jeffery has.  They probably didn't even read it and were alarmed by
something as ridiculous as the title's potentially "obscene" term!

Jeffrey Shoulson

On Nov 30, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

> Rose Williams wrote:
>
>> I live fairly close to Plano, Texas, and I would like
> to know what they found to censor in Moby Dick.<
>
> I can think of some passages that would get a censor's
> attention.
>
> 1. Sexual implications:
>
> - Ishmael and the Polynesian man sleeping together and
> awakening in an embrace
>
> - the oil of the whale being called "sperm" and in an
> especially memorable scene, Ishmael describing the
> pleasure of buckets of sperm, the whole world drenched
> in sperm (or something like that)
>
> 2. Blasphemy:
>
> - Gnostic themes questioning the goodness of God the
> creator might have offended some
>
> But I'm just guessing on this.
>
> Jeffery Hodges
>

> University Degrees:
>
> Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
> (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic
> Texts")
>
> Email Address:
>
> jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
>
> Blog:
>
> http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/
>
> Office Address:

> Department of English Language and Literature
> Korea University
> 136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
> Seoul
> South Korea
>
> Home Address:

> Sehan Apt. 102-2302
> Sinnae-dong 795
> Jungrang-gu
> Seoul 131-770
> South Korea

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English
Director, George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies (ON LEAVE, AY
05-06)
Fellow, Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies
5202 University Drive
Merrick 105
Coral Gables, FL 33146

(o) 305-284-8180