[Milton-L] censorship and pl

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 30 11:16:34 EST 2005

>>>Paradise Lost was (maybe still is) on the Catholic Church's Index of
Prohibited Books.  When my own undergraduate Milton teacher, a Benedictine
monk, wanted to study Milton in graduate school, he had to get special
permission from at least his bishop, and perhaps from the Vatican itself.<<<

Probably not anymore.  Though Benedict is going to continue JPII's efforts to tune up Catholic seminaries, it's highly doubtful that the current picture in which a Catholic seminarian can "major" in just about anything he wants to, within reason, will be drastically changed.  My point is, if you can study just about anything you want to in seminary, chances are standard literary study on the university level hardly needs such episcopal approval,

--
Etc,

Fr M J "Mike" Logsdon
Special Assistant to the Presiding Archbishop
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
www.naorc.org