[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 11:08:57 EST 2005

Rose Williams wrote:

>I live fairly close to Plano, Texas, and I would like
to know what they found to censor in Moby Dick.<

I can think of some passages that would get a censor's
attention.

1. Sexual implications:

- Ishmael and the Polynesian man sleeping together and
awakening in an embrace

- the oil of the whale being called "sperm" and in an
especially memorable scene, Ishmael describing the
pleasure of buckets of sperm, the whole world drenched
in sperm (or something like that)

2. Blasphemy:

- Gnostic themes questioning the goodness of God the
creator might have offended some

But I'm just guessing on this.

Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees: