[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Rose Williams rwill627 at cox.net
Wed Nov 30 09:56:18 EST 2005

> I don't see censorship as the worst thing that can happen and most of what
> would be "repressed" would hardly be a serious loss.

I must agree with Jim. Censorship of important health or safety news could
be crippling, but censorship of literature usually assures the censored
piece a wide readership. Surely Paradise Lost must have been censored
sometime, somewhere? If we could show such a fact to our students, they
would probably be encouraged to read it.
I live fairly close to Plano, Texas, and I would like to know what they
found to censor in Moby Dick. Perhaps it was the fact that the whale won the
contest. Many of my fellow Texans believe in the destruction of any or all
of the animal kingdom for the sport and pleasure of Almighty Man.

> I appreciate Ms. Khoddam's recent response but I'm not quite sure what was
> so revolting about Donne's poem.  He seemed to be celebrating his
> mistress' nudity and encouraging it.  Some women might appreciate that and
> some might not, probably depending on how they feel at the moment and
> about the man making the comments.

Good point, Jim. However, downtrodden woman always makes a good theme. I
enjoyed reading Merlin Stone's When God Was a Woman, and wondered what
Milton would have thought about that book. Stone says that the whole
Adam-Eve-Snake triangle was an written attempt by the patriarchal Jews to
discredit the various forms of the goddess Ishtar-Ashtoreth-Artemis-whoever
and her sacred snakes. Proving that idea would be as problematic as proving
the existence of UFOs, but it made interesting reading, especially as I was
doing graduate work in Milton's works at the time.
Rose Williams