[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Nov 30 06:27:47 EST 2005

>The works I'm thinking of, Cynthia, ain't _Ulysses_.  :)
And I'm not
>holding my breath for sudden criticial recognition of their
intrinsic
>merit at some unnamed date in the future.

It's a slippery slope. I hold no brief for the kind of thing
you have in mind, but I am also aware that the ALA publishes
an annual list of challenged books that includes everything
from Medelien L'Engle to "Catcher in the Rye" to "Moby Dick" -
 it was challenged one year in Plano, Texas, for 'conflicting
with community values.' I  don't think I want to know what
those are...

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant