[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Tue Nov 29 18:47:29 EST 2005

These latest postings about porno vs. art, have taught me much about
sexuality, though I was ready to puke at the last three passages offered (by
Donne, Rochester, and I'm not sure who the author of the third one is.   I
suppose they were offered as samples of what is and what is not
pornographic.   I'm noticing that this thread has been the most popular that
we've had so far, at least recently, and that most of the contributors  are
male.  This observation is leading me to some personal conclusions about
pornography.  It is a creation of males and propagated *ad nauseam* by males
to other males.  I wish these males would look at these three passages  from
the women's point of view.  Just try to imagine being the woman in these
situations. You have a woman who is the object of a man's gaze (albeit he is
her husband) in the first one, a woman who is being overwhelmed by a
narcissistic, vain lover in the second, and another who is simply abused in
the third.  What do these passages have in common?  Males flaunting their
sexual power over women in many diverse ways, who are more interested in the
conquest than the process of love.  All these women are made into objects to
serve a disgusting, flaunting, infantile, voyeuristic  male sexuality
enjoyed by rakes and senile old men.  High poetic diction doesn't redeem any
of these works.  Such sexuality, my friends, is pornography.  Thanks for
enlightening me on what it is.
Best,
Ms. Salwa Khoddam