[Milton-L] Donne biography

Mitchell M. Harris mmharris at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 29 17:45:32 EST 2005

Hi Amy-

R.C. Bald's John Donne: A Life  continues to be the standard, and has
yet to be improved upon. Bald used Edmund Gosse's Life and Letters of
John Donne as a building block, and despite some flaws it is worth
reading for its fine use of Donne's letters. John Carey's John Donne:
Life, Mind, Art seems to be a must-read amongst Donne scholars, because
it typifies how Donne was once viewed and (I must sheepishly admit)
offers a good straw man of sorts. I'd also recommend Dennis Flynn's
John Donne and the Ancient Catholic Nobility. Dennis is doing excellent
research, and working on a much-needed multi-volume biography of
Donne's life. I hope this is of some help to you and your student.

All the Best,
     Mitch Harris

Mitchell M. Harris
Assistant Instructor
Department of English
The University of Texas at Austin
mmharris at mail.utexas.edu

"Alack, when once our grace we have forgot,
  Nothing goes right . . ."
				   - William Shakespeare