[Milton-L] Query

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 14:45:19 EST 2005

Does your student mean the Gospel of Thomas?

Well, Milton certainly didn't use the Nag Hammadi
Gospel of Thomas since it was buried in the Egyptian
sands about the fourth century and only rediscovered
in the mid-twentieth century . . . and is in Coptic,
which Milton didn't know . . . I assume -- I like to
think that I know something that Milton didn't know.

A fragmentary Greek version of the Gospel of Thomas
exists, but I don't know how long people have known of
it.

Does your student think that Milton refers to the
Gospel of Thomas?

Jeffery Hodges

--- "Tredennick, Linda" <tredennick at gonzaga.edu>
wrote:

> Linda Tredennick
> Assistant Professor
> Dept. of English
> Gonzaga University
>

> I have a student interested in Milton's use of
> apocryphal texts,
> particularly Thomas.  Does anyone know if that text
> was available to
> Milton, and if he refers to it anywhere?
> Thank you, as always, for your help and expertise,
> Linda
>
> Linda Tredennick
> Asst. Professor
> Dept. of English