[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Rose Williams rwill627 at cox.net
Tue Nov 29 12:07:57 EST 2005

My prim little filter also forbade Carrol's email. I have read John Donne,
and find it difficult to call his work porn, as it seems to consist of
consenting, uncoerced adults. It is voyeuristic of us to be reading it
perhaps. (Voyeurism in my youth was considered a Peeping-Tom twist of
personality; now it seems to be the main point of many movies and TV shows
and some 'art works').
Even without reading the post, I am sure that Carrol, in his usual fashion,
is defending whatever extreme right-wingers consider indefensible. I have
always admired him for that, but I must enter a caveat of my own. Child
pornography, or anything else which abuses the helpless for the delectation
of a moneyed audience, is despicable. It should be outlawed, and it should
be prosecuted.
Rose Williams