[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon Nov 28 16:26:45 EST 2005

We might as well have some concrete instances to deal with.
>Below are three, Donne's Elegey XX,  Rochester's
great "Imperfect
>Enjoyment," and an excerpt from a (self-identified)
pornographic web
>site. I think each requires a slightly different
classification??

It is interesting to me that both of the poems are in the
currnt Norton Anthology, as is Marvell's 'To His Coy
Mistress,' which was called pornographic by a radio host in
North Carolina when I was in college in the 1960s. A TA at
UNC had assigned the poem to his freshman comp class, and
someone had called the radio guy, who demanded that the
student be fired [he wasn't].

If the 3rd piece were from a 20th century English novel by a
canonical author, would it find a place in Vol 2 of the
Norton?

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant