[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Mon Nov 28 00:23:02 EST 2005

Seems, Prof. Strier, you have a whole taxonomy of pornography up your
sleeve; you are planning an entire issue of MP on the subject aren't you?
You'll snap up "Pornography in art" (and perhaps "Art in pornography" ?) for
yourself; and you'll invite James Rovira based on his post yesterday to do
"Porn without art: capers in early cable."  But give us a preview of the
rest; what, and who, else do have in mind? I can try to imagine an article
or two but really haven't the scope or the art:
      "Sex sells: 30 years of cover art on 'Milton' paperbacks."
      "For whom and From whom I was Formed, Flesh of thy Flesh: 'F' words in
Paradise."
      "Debbie done Donne, prevenient pornography in the Metaphysicals."
      "Before, behind, between, etcetera: pornographic pentameters, Spenser
to Auden."

Of course the cover for your issue could only be "La Source."
http://www.mythesgrecs.com/ContenuPages/nymphes_elements/La%20source,%20Jean%20Auguste%20Dominique%20Ingres.jpg