[Milton-L] on Eikonoklastes

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Sun Nov 27 09:56:34 EST 2005

This is a very interesting question.  My recollection (from memory alone, as
I don't have a text to hand) is that Milton uses the word "orthographie"
when he jibes at the word, though he also scoffs that the king cannot "coin
English as he can money," or words to that effect (he certainly uses the
word "coin").  I have always assumed that he was criticizing both the
orthography and the neologism, saying, in effect, "this word will never
catch on."  (Incidentally, Tom Corns has some excellent things to say about
this moment in his book on Milton's prose style).

Please let us know what you find.  If the "a" really is "just a simple typo"
this has significant implications for critical interpretations of this
moment.

Best,

John Leonard