[Milton-L] Poslapsarian Liberty

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 12:32:32 EST 2005

Jeffery Hodges asks:
>When, exactly, do Milton's Adam and Eve receive "prevenient grace"?

Why do you want an "exact" moment?

I would say they receive it at 10.1100-1101 at the phrase, "and both
confess'd humbly thir faults." This is just four lines previous to the
11.1-8 passage you provided.  The passage at 10.220-223 which you also
provided, is about the gift of a covering, both outward and, yes, inward,
but nevertheless simply a sheild between the sinner and the "Father's
sight."  The radical heart surgery takes place "exactly" when they confess.
Of course the language at 10.1100 describing their confession, language
whose source is Milton's narrative voice, is an almost exact duplicate --for
five lines running-- of language Adam proposes a few lines earlier, 10.1087
ff, when he suggests to Eve his plan of action. This duplication perhaps may
provoke another question of regression [cf your query on the pun of
"Eve-ill"]: how could Adam plan his confession in such precise and
apparently appropriate terms if some sort of grace had not already been at
work. But then, work in the mind --seeing the benefit of confession and
planning to confess-- is not the same as work in the heart, and the
prevenient grace described at 11.1-8 is work in the heart: the stony heart,
and the heart of flesh.

Carl