[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Sat Nov 26 12:28:58 EST 2005

Carrol, I very much appreciate the attempt to clarify this discussion,
but I think all these points intersect.

I don't think any given reader should enjoy whatever he/she enjoys.  I
don't think you do either; I think there are scenes which any response
other than disgust would be disturbing to you, that you'd think  any
reader who enjoyed watching such a scene would have something very wrong
with him/her, that his or her aesthetic or interpretive sensibilities
needed some training or education.

I don't think this discussion is really a matter of what is "legal."
Pornography is legal.  "Legal for whom" is the real issue legally, and
for that we need some kind of working definition of "pornography" that
distinguishes it from "art."

Which leads us to the question of genre.  "Intent" can be defined in the
broadest possible terms: is this work intended to provide only sexual
titillation, or  is there more going on?

Jim R.