[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Richard Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 25 18:17:50 EST 2005

Jesus-- "prurient intent"!  Picasso had lots of this in lots of his
art.  As did, perhaps, Michelangelo, as did Titian, and did Degas,
etc, etc.  So?  Is Balthus a pornographer, a child pornographer?
Maybe.  But also a great artist-- and simultaneously.

I think the legal attempts at censorship are all misguided.

Where you purchase the thing is the point?  What if I buy Hustler at
a nice bookstore?  What if the live sex shows moved to a nice part of
town?  I'm afraid that I think this is a totally hopeless line of
argument.
--
Richard Strier
Professor of English