[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Fri Nov 25 15:41:01 EST 2005

Absolutely, Jacob, but wouldn't you define those who are sexually
stimulated by nude photos of children "borderline cases" to be
distinguished from those who have "normal sexual responses"?  Yes, this
does assume a norm.  I don't think we can talk sensibly about
social/aesthetic standards for pornography unless we do so, or make the
grotesque assumption that all nudity is pornography.  I think we have to
take a middle way between thinking we can define an abstract standard
that covers all cases without complications, or reducing the issue to
the unpredictable particularities of individual responses.

This is something like different readings of Milton.  I have my
preferences, but see some differing readings as sensible and some as
nonsense.  Most of us think this way.

Here's an interesting read on the issue:

The Cult of Chastity: Lauren Winner and the Purity Brigade

http://www.newpantagruel.com/issues/2.3/a_continuing_survey_of_the_far.php

Jim R.