[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Fri Nov 25 12:33:13 EST 2005

These definitions do have some currency legally:

http://www.llrx.com/features/obscenitylaws.htm

This is a very difficult subject, of course, but "prurient intent" and
other indirect language of intent is often invoked.

Honestly, though, these responses seem to demonstrate an incorrigible
resistance to common sense.  Is it really that hard to see the
difference in intent between Debbie Does Dallas and Michelangelo's
David?  You should notice that some of the court judgments distinguished
between "normal sexual response" and the responses that pornography
attempt to stimulate.  I can have seen in different films scenes in
which a couple were simply kissing, fully dressed, and yet the scene was
arousing -- but hardly pornographic.

The point of context, of course, has nothing to do with "where you can
read Hustler." It has more to do with where you go to purchase Hustler.
  You'll never purchase a Hustler in a major metropolitan museum.  Nor
will it be appreciated if you try to read one there.  Nicole Kidman's
performance in the stage production described in a forward to this list
earlier this week (thank you) probably wasn't the same as live sex shows
you can watch in the bad part of town, though it's possible Kidman's was
a borderline case. Either way, I'm pretty confident I'll not see
anything like a live sex show in any professionally staged performance
at a large venue around my city.

For that matter, if Kidman were to perform at a Rachel's or a Doll's
House  (venues featuring topless waitresses who do lap dances for tips)
her performance would mean something different there than in a small
local theater in England.

It's very difficult to imagine that context doesn't matter.

That definitions still allow for borderline cases doesn't invalidate the
   validity of the definitions to cover most cases.

Jim R.