[Milton-L] Re: porno vs. art?

Jesse Swan jesse.swan at uni.edu
Thu Nov 24 16:00:38 EST 2005

Comparing Eve to Dame Alisoun's old hag seems apropos, since it represents
the limiting way Carol Barton wishes to cast interpretations and the wider
ways others are promoting.

The old hag in Chaucer's tale is, importantly, Dame Alisoun's and Dame
Alisoun is Chaucer's.  The good wife of the resort town known for people
disrobing and bathing themselves (be the people nude or naked upon such
disrobing may be up for interpretation, I suppose) interprets her old hag's
character and the new couple's relationship very differently from the way
Carol Barton does:  Alisoun explains as she exclaims,

   And thus they lyve unto hir lyves ende
In parfit joye; and Jhesu Crist us sende
Housbondes meeke, yonge, and fressh abedde,
And grace t'overbyde hem that we wedde;
And eek I praye Jhesu shorte hir lyves
That noght wol be governed by hir wyves;
And olde and angry nygardes of dispence,
God sende hem soone verray pestilence!

Surely, the genre of the tale Alisoun tells suggests Carol Barton's
interpretation.  However, Chaucer's work suggests much more, in part by
drawing on the genre of the tale to provide much of the humorous
characterization of Alisoun:  the contrast dramatically shows her unable to
realize what she's saying, and only able to understand what she says as
supporting what she wants.  Experience tells Alisoun that everyone has his
or her own interpretation, as it tells us that characters such as Alisoun
cannot understand the fullness of what they say and feel they know, never
mind what others say and know.

Milton is at least as capable as Chaucer in casting multiple suggestions
simultaneously in the service of suggesting a complex, always interrelated
sense of existence.  In this way, Eve is never just herself, even when
gazing upon her reflection, anymore than the old hag is just herself, even
when gazing on her own presumed hideousness when watching her young knight's
response to her advances.  In both the works of Milton and Chaucer, there
are authors and there are self-consciously employed complex literary and
theological contexts for the authors and their stories.

jesse

Jesse G. Swan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
University of Northern Iowa