[Milton-L] "nude, not naked" -- really?

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Wed Nov 23 10:38:53 EST 2005

Dear Miltonists,
James Rovira talks about the possibility of innocent love/sex right here in
our world.  I don't doubt that a bit.  The ancients knew more about  love
and suffering (and much else) than we.  You remember that Pleasure
(Voluptas) is the daughter of Psyche (the soul) and Cupid (Eros) in Greek
mythology.  This  best example of love to the ancient Greeks was the one
that included the two kinds of love, the sacred and the profane, in unison.
Shakespeare also knows more about love than we (for example, Romeo and
Juliet, Antony and Cleopatra, Rosalind and Orlando, all of whom integrate in
their love both the physical and the spiritual).  So does Milton. In our
modern society we have chopped up everything into bits and so are not able
to understand love in its wholeness. The more I read Milton, the more I see
that the prelapsarian and the postlapsarian worlds are not that far apart.
Yes, divided by sin and knowledge of evil, but still linked by a golden
thread, like J. Donne's, strong but"to airy thinness beat."  For, as Milton
says, the"upright heart and pure"(1.18)  filled with wisdom and trained by
"Deeds to...knowledge answerable..faith /..virtue, patience,
temperance...love / By name to come called Charity, the soul / Of all the
rest" (XII.582-85) can possess "A paradise within...happier far"(587). (I
apologize for mangling the most important lines of PL). But what a hopeful
view.  It takes a lot of work to achieve this blissful state, but it is
possible right here in our world.  Our undergraduates have a hard time
understanding this.  Sometimes I wonder, with Professor Digory in The Lion,
the Witch, and the Wardrobe (dare I mention  this work in the company of
esteemed Milton scholars?), "I wonder what they do teach them at these
schools."
On a cheerful note, one of my students gave an excellent presentation on
Milton and his relevance to our times.  But then he is one of the fit and
few.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,
(Ms) Salwa Khoddam