[Milton-L] "nude, not naked" -- really?

Angelica Duran aduran at cla.purdue.edu
Wed Nov 23 08:17:38 EST 2005

Dear scholars,

First of all, happy Thanksgiving to not just those of us in the US but also
all on the list, for whose electronic company I am very thankful.

Yes, I had prepared my students for the wonderfully-done nude scene in
Zimmerman's _Metamorphoses_.  I had also included images of Rodin's "The
Thinker" and "The Kiss" on my syllabus in preparation for discussions of the
permissible in high culture art versus popular culture.  I carefully thought
out the field trip and, as with when I included Ginsberg's curse-ridden
"Howl" for the "howling section" (opera, Mexican ranchero music," London's
"Call of the Wild," etc.) of my undergraduate "Literary Critters" course, I
do try to be bold but not too bold, like Britomart, because I want to
balance my aim of challenging students and captivating them to be life-long
appreciators of literature, and art, and beauty, and science, and culture,
and so on.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
Department of English and Program of Comparative Literature
Purdue University
500 Oval Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907
U.S.A.