[Milton-L] PL film

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Nov 22 10:32:45 EST 2005

>I'm for the film version. I hope that the 21st century
brings with it
>multiple filmed versions of Milton's works, as the 20th
brought multiple
>filmed versions of Shakespeare's, which will help minimize
Diane McColley's
>correct concerns about viewers possessing only one fixed
version rather than
>many and their own.

Me too, if for nothing else than the opportunity to go to a
movie with fellow MIltonists and whisper to each
other, "Ohhh! How could they leave out THOSE lines? You know,
where Eve says ..."

When I saw the second of the Lord of the Rings movies, I sat
in front of several people who had evidently committed those
holy texts to memory, and who kept up a running commentary
along those lines. They tried to be politely quiet, and
mostly were, but from time to time the liberties taken by the
movie were too much for one of them, who really did hiss with
shock and anger at some ommission.

I hope I sit near them for "PL: The Movie!"

C  .
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant