[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

Tom Bishop tgb2 at case.edu
Tue Nov 22 10:35:04 EST 2005

The National Theatre production of Tony Harrison's adaptation of
medieval cycle plays, "The Mysteries", (available on video) featured
Adam and Eve in Paradise naked and not ashamed with a remarkable and
moving effectiveness. Adam rose -- marvelously -- out of the earth,
and Eve joined him. The effect on an audience was interesting to
track. Initially, I think, there was some prurient attention, but the
very lack of any such winking hint in the production, its candid
insistence that the innocent eye treats the whole body alike as
uniformly good and human, quickly won out.  Part of the reason for
this, I think, is the very ordinary demeanor in the immediacy of the
actors. I'm not sure film could easily achieve this, as in-immediacy
is one of its basic conditions, and the medium coerces the eye, and
makes it aware of demands on its spectation, in the way the stage
does not. Contemporary Hollywood in particular is almost incapable of
forgoing such coercive pleasuring. But I think a good, thoughtful
director might be able to unpack that problem. PL, of course, has its
own pornographic moment after the Fall. Again, smart direction might
make its impulse toward the pornographic eye at that point pointedly
part of the problem, rather than a sticky "solution sweet".

Tom