[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon Nov 21 20:18:16 EST 2005

>I am going to admit that the idea of a film version of
Paradise Lost
>horrifies me.  Images stick in people's heads and become
icons that disable
>the imagination, which words leave free to re-see over and
over.
>And I should think the sounds and tones of the verbal
extracts would often
>need to provide a fixed interpretation of puns and nuances
and ambiguities
>such as those this list so fruitfully discusses.

I expect you are quite right. I also expect such a film would
either be so clunkily done that its audience would be few, if
not fit - no harm, no foul - or it would be so wildly odd
that it would attract a large audience of people who then
might say, well, what's the original like? And many would not
read much, but maybe fit audience though few would stay and
read, learn, and inwardly digest.

To compare great things - PL - with lesser:

I grew up on the Oz books. I also saw a thatrical re-release
of the movie of "The Wizard of Oz" twice - once when I was
about 6, and once a few years ago. When I was about 6, the
flying monkeys scared me. A few years ago, the remastered
music charmed me.

I loved and love both the movie and the books, but for
different reasons.

The books were the editions that belonged to my mother- "The
Wizard of Oz", "Ozma of Oz," - I read them each summer when I
visited my grandparents' house. I own them now. They are a
tangible link to my childhood, my mother, her parents.

The movie gave me Bert Lahr singing "If I were the King of
the Jungle!" and the other songs. All of that too is part of
the Oz stuff.

One is not better than the other; they are different, and
each with value. The very best thing that could happen with a
movie of PL would be something like that.

Do I think it will happen?
Nah.
But I can hope.
And that's a horse of anohter color.