[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 19:29:40 EST 2005

Agreed, Diane (and all). My point was that Eve is far more complex than a
scheming Southern belle (Leigh), and certainly far more dignified than
Madeleine Kahn (while not nearly as funny). I take the scene in IX to be one
of fatal but deadly serious over-reaching (more like Henrietta-Maria's than
Mary, Queen of Scots') and am therefore having difficulty seeing her as Roy
does, i.e. frivolously seductive.

Like you, I can't imagine an adequate cinematic _Paradise Lost_, which is, I
suppose, why I can't envision an actress who could play Eve, or an actor who
could play Adam. Satan I could cast in a hearbeat (but only because Mel
Gibson already did).

All best,

Carol