[Milton-L] [Fwd: Re: When and how did the canon die?]

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Sun Nov 20 06:33:20 EST 2005

Quoting "Wittreich, Joseph" <JWittreich at gc.cuny.edu>:

> See the Introduction to Philip Pullman's new edition of Paradise Lost:
> "Paradise Lost . . . is more influential than ever . . . .  It will not
> go away" (page 9).  Whom do you believe?

I'm always reminded of the phrase by Hippolyte Taine, which if y'all will pardon
the contemporary sexism is, "Shakespeare and Dante are men's natural masters,
to whom they will return in the time of their emancipation."  Just so, Milton
is really good.  He's not going to go away.

Jameela
--
Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Studies