[Milton-L] [Fwd: Re: When and how did the canon die?]

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Sat Nov 19 23:10:39 EST 2005

I have a set of the new Norton in a box in my office,
courtesy of the publishers, although I had not asked for it -
I've not looked at it yet.

I have been teaching long enough to know that the textbook
publishers are, on the whole, opportunistic and greedy.

A couple of weeks ago the New Yorker had a brief piece on
this, noting the disproportionate pricing of college texts
vs. trade books.

Last year at my school there was a series of break-ins in the
school of bidness faculty offices - the target? Textbooks,
because theirs are even more expensive than ours. An
acounting text may cost $90 new. Go figger.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant