[Milton-L] [Fwd: Re: When and how did the canon die?]

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 13:05:26 EST 2005

Peter C. Herman wrote:

>>One should also look at the many, many references to
Milton in popular culture. For example, Neil Gaiman's
graphic novel, Seasons of the Mist (I'm quoting the
title from memory, so it might be a bit inaccurate),
overtly rewrites Paradise Lost, as Pullman's equally
wonderful series, His Dark Materials, also uses PL.
The popularity of that series is why Oxford asked
Pullman to write the introduction to the new, coffee
table edition of PL cited by Joe Wittreich.<<

And if we don't confine ourselves to books, then there
are such movies as "The Devil's Advocate," in which
the devil bears the name John Milton. Someone had a
devilish sense of humor.

Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley