[Milton-L] Leonard on O Eve, in evil hour...

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 18 19:59:18 EST 2005

I come late to this thread, but I don't understand why Eve has to be saying
any more than, "The action of bringing me here to see this Fruit--which you
ate, though I cannot--was pointless [i.e. "fruitless"]--and it was
fruitless, to me, also, because--no matter how much of it is here--I can't
use it--EVEN IF it were here to excess," which is how I read "though" in
that line:

        Serpent, we might have spared our coming hither,
        Fruitless to me, though fruit be here to excess.  (IX 647-8)

Perhaps I'm missing something subtle in the claim to the contrary (that this
is "Milton's" pun, rather than Eve's)?

Best to all,

Carol Barton