[Milton-L] Norway

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 16:39:06 EST 2005

Might Milton be associating "barbarick" with
non-Christian? The Baltic region was the last part of
Europe to be Christianized -- Lithuania was really
Christian until the 15th century (yas, I realize
Lithuania's not Norway).

Note also the emphasis upon "pride" in "barbarick
pride," the sin of pride being the central factor in
Satan's downfall.

Jeffery Hodges

--- jfleming at sfu.ca wrote:

> This from _Areopagitica_:
>
> "If I should thus farre presume upon the meek
> demeanour of your civill and
> gentle greatnesse, Lords and Commons, as what your
> publisht Order hath
> directly said, that to gainsay, I might defend my
> selfe with ease, if any
> should accuse me of being new or insolent, did they
> but know how much better
> I find ye esteem it to imitate the old and elegant
> humanity of Greece, then
> the barbarick pride of a Hunnish and Norwegian
> statelines." JD Fleming
>
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:27:50 -0600
> milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:
> > As we were looking at similes in PL 1, a student
> pointed out something I
> > hadn't noticed before: Norway appears in two of
> these.  There's
> > Leviathan "slumbering on the Norway foam" at line
> 203, and "the tallest
> > pine / Hewn on Norwegian hills" at 293.  When
> asked whether there is any
> > significance to the recurrence of Norway, I had to
> confess I have no
> > idea.  It could just be a coincidence, of course,
> but does anyone know
> > if this question has ever come up in the
> criticism?  (An MLA search for
> > Milton and Norway yields nothing.) Or happen to
> have a take on it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mary Bowman
> > University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point