[Milton-L] Norway

Bowman, Mary mbowman at uwsp.edu
Thu Nov 17 12:27:50 EST 2005

As we were looking at similes in PL 1, a student pointed out something I
hadn't noticed before: Norway appears in two of these.  There's
Leviathan "slumbering on the Norway foam" at line 203, and "the tallest
pine / Hewn on Norwegian hills" at 293.  When asked whether there is any
significance to the recurrence of Norway, I had to confess I have no
idea.  It could just be a coincidence, of course, but does anyone know
if this question has ever come up in the criticism?  (An MLA search for
Milton and Norway yields nothing.) Or happen to have a take on it?

Thanks,

Mary Bowman
University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
mbowman at uwsp.edu