[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 23:03:20 EST 2005

My graduate class on Milton discussed an issue similar
to this on Tuesday.

1. God seems to speak like a good Ramist (i.e., Peter
Ramus) in PL 3.80-134, intent on speaking with
precision by carefully delimiting the meaning of his
terms, especially the meaning of "free will."

2. Satan, by contrast, "scoffing in ambiguous words"
(PL 6.568), uses language to deceive, mislead, obscure
-- and thus employs puns in order to equivocate and
thereby mislead the reasoning powers of those to whom
he speaks (but also misleads himself).

These two are the extremes, precision for God,
equivocation for Satan, but a middle ground exists
for:

3. ...the unfallen Adam and Eve, who also use wordplay
but not to deceive. Thus in PL 9.235-241, Adam plays
on the meanings of "refreshment" -- physical food for
the body, talk as food of the mind, and looks and
smiles as food of love. In this case of unfallen
language, Adam uses the multiple meanings of a word
not to obscure a specious argument but to open and
enrich meaning.

These, at least, were what we suggested in our
seminar. We didn't check systematically throughout all
of PL.

Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley