[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

John Hale john.hale at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Thu Nov 17 16:35:27 EST 2005

We get our minds to grasp ideas by oppositions, just as we do with words
(Saussure).  But ideas, like words or things — or people — may not be so
binary on closer inspection.   It is just as natural and useful to think
along a scale or a spectrum, or if the quantities are large enough, in a
Gaussian cocked-hat curve. Aristotle found that virtue is both a middle or
mean and an absolute.  So what further heuristic devices or metaphors
might now be brought to bear on Milton's puns?
JKH