[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

Bowman, Mary mbowman at uwsp.edu
Mon Nov 14 14:12:33 EST 2005

I agree--it's important to attribute the pun to Adam.  It fits the
context of the rest of that speech (indeed the rest of book 9), in which
Adam lays all the blame for the Fall on Eve and accepts no
responsibility of his own (and vice versa).  When both accept blame for
their own choices (something Satan never unequivocally does), the
workings of grace are seen.  Adam's pun is literally ungracious and
meant (by Milton) to be seen as such.

Mary Bowman