[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Mon Nov 14 09:18:44 EST 2005

R. Allen Shoaf wrote:

"I always use Ricks with
> caution: a brilliant reader of poetry, prodigiously informed, but very
> much his own reader of poetry."

A couple of people on this list have recently suggested that Christopher
Ricks has argued for (or argued that Milton has argued for) a real
etymological or even ontological connection between "Eve" and "evil."  This
is a gross distortion of the actual argument Ricks makes on page 103 of
Milton's Grand Style (in the chapter "Enhancing Suggestions," subsection
entitled "Silent yet Spake").  Ricks is countering a prejudice against
Milton's puns or "jingles" (Addison's term)--a prejudice that was still
strong in 1963 (the date of Ricks's book).  Ricks uses the "Eve/evil"
example to reply to F. T. Prince, who had faulted Milton for an "incessant,
sometimes obtrusive, activity of mind at the level of verbal wit;  there is
play upon words, sometimes in puns, sometimes in emphasizing the jingling
qualities of words of different or kindred meaning."  (It is worth noting
that Prince is here indifferent to the question of whether the jingling
words are "different or kindred" in meaning.)  Ricks replies:

"Yet *jingling* is liable to suggest too trivial a tone.  When Adam cries
out after the Fall, 'O Eve, in evil hour thou didst give eare / To that
false Worm' (ix 1067-8), his cry proclaims that the word evil is derived
from Eve, and that evil derives from her.  That is more of a knell than a
jingle.  We can see the difference if we think of the line from Sylvester's
Du Bartas that Milton may have had in mind:  'O Lot! alas!  what lot hast
thou elect!'  Milton's line has an altogether different resonance and depth,
mainly because it *is* a jingle and not a pun:  the distance from *Lot* to
*lot* would be too great for the epic, and in any case leaves us feeling
'how clever' rather than--as with *Eve* . . . *evil*--'how wounding'."
(Milton's Grand Style, p. 103)

The first thing to note is that Ricks attributes the pun to Adam, not to
Milton.  It is Adam who "cries out," and "his cry" that "proclaims."  Ricks
nowhere credits the pun with wisdom or insight into the nature of women in
general or Eve in particular, and he nowhere suggests that Milton attributes
the pun with these qualities.  On the contrary, the pun is "a knell" tolling
the Fall.  I admit that there is a moment's ambiguity in Ricks's paragraph
as to whether this knell tolls Adam's Fall or Eve's, but this ambiguity is
resolved in the final two words of the paragraph.  Adam's pun elicits the
response "how wounding."  The implication is clear.  Fallen Adam has wrested
his hitherto clear perception of names and natures to claim--unjustly--that
Eve is the root of all evil.  The actual meaning of her name, as Adam and
Milton (and Ricks) know perfectly well, is "Life".  Adam had spelled this
out when he first named Eve for her (and his) "Substantial Life" (IV 485),
and he will reaffirm the true etymology in book XI, after his reconciliation
with Eve:  "Whence hail to thee, / Eve rightly called, Mother of all
Mankind, / Mother of all things living" (XI 158-160).  Ricks is perfectly
aware of all this.  His concern in Milton's Grand Style is defend Milton's
style against its detractors (important and necessary work in 1963).  R. A.
Shoaf avers that Ricks should be read "with caution" because he is "very
much his own reader of poetry."  I have no quarrel with this.  Every critic
(and every poet) should be read with caution, and it is to Ricks's credit
that he is himself a cautious and vigilant reader--more cautious and
vigilant than some of the comments recently posted on this list might lead
the unwary to imagine.  Professor Shoaf is no doubt right to say that Ricks
is "very much his own reader of poetry," but the same might be said of
Johnson or Arnold.  Much better, in my view, for a critic to be his (if it
is not her) "own reader" than to be someone else's reader.

John Leonard