[Milton-L] Cromwell and miracles

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 29 11:56:17 EDT 2005

Well, when OC died there was a great windstorm, which was attributed to
the devil having come to collect his soul.

It was the same windstorm, by the way, in which Isaac Newton performed
his first recorded experiment, jumping first into and then with the
wind and measuring the difference in the distance he jumped. (It was
less than a decade later, about the time the first edition of PL was
going to press, that Newton sat in his mother's garden and watched the
apple fall.)

John