[Milton-L] Early Stuart Libels Online

Feisal Mohamed feisalm at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 22 13:30:34 EDT 2005

I don't think the list has yet been alerted to the resource below--I know I just learned of it today.  It's quite remarkable, even more so considering that it is in the public domain. A link and the website's "preface" are below.

http://www.earlystuartlibels.net/htdocs/index.html
"Early Stuart Libels" is a web-based edition of early seventeenth-century political poetry from manuscript sources. It brings into the public domain over 350 poems, many of which have never before been published. Though most of the texts are poems of satire and invective, others take the form of anti-libels, responding to libellers with orthodox panegyric. These poems throw new light on literary and political culture in England in the decades from the accession of King James I to the outbreak of the English Civil War.

The edition is divided into chronological and thematic sections, for ease of navigation. It is fully searchable, by name and source. Editorial principles are explained in the introduction.