[Milton-L] London

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 20:53:30 EDT 2005

 random, indiscriminate, and impersonal, and the
>result of carelessness or accident.
>
>The attacks that occurred yesterday, and in Madrid, and on
11 September
>2001, were not.

You are quite right.

What I was trying to say was that our feeling 'safe,' as if
wierd death could never touch us, is an illusion. That it
might come at the instigation of evil human beings rather
than, say, a tsumami or hurricane or tornado [pace Dorothy]
does make a difference.

Those who did these evil acts should be found and held
accountable. Even if you could catch a tornado, how could you
make it accountable?

I am touched and heartened by the tough and resiliant
response of Londoners as reported on the news today. Milton
would be proud.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant