[Milton-L] London

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 20:41:48 EDT 2005

 But it does
>seem to me that Cynthia's post might suggest that we need to
work to focus
>students on the obvious sense of extreme contingency writers
we read and
>teach assumed.

Try Donne's 'Valediction Forbidding Mourning' and ask
students to read aloud the opening image - "As virtuous
men ..." and ask them to say what scene Donne is invoking.
See how many say 'a deathbed.' Then tell them that only in
the latter half of the 20th c did most people die in a
hospital or nursing home instead of at home in their own
beds. Then tell them to life expectancy in the 17th c.

My soph survey students are usually appalled.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant