[Milton-L] [Fwd: Statement from George Galloway]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 8 12:42:25 EDT 2005

Statement on the London bombings by George Galloway on behalf of Respect

We extend our condolences to those who have lost their lives today and
our heartfelt sympathy to all those who have been injured by the bombs
in London.

No one can condone acts of violence aimed at working people going about
their daily lives. They have not been a party to, nor are they
responsible for, the decisions of their government. They are entirely
innocent and we condemn those who have killed or injured them.

The loss of innocent lives, whether in this country or Iraq, is
precisely the result of a world that has become a less safe and peaceful
place in recent years.

We have worked without rest to remove the causes of such violence from
our world. We argued, as did the Security Services in this country, that
the attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq would increase the threat of
terrorist attack in Britain. Tragically Londoners have now paid the
price of the government ignoring such warnings.

We urge the government to remove people in this country from harms way,
as the Spanish government acted to remove its people from harm, by
ending the occupation of Iraq and by turning its full attention to the
development of a real solution to the wider conflicts in the Middle
East.

Only then will the innocents here and abroad be able to enjoy a life
free of the threat of needless violence.

George Galloway, Respect MP for Bethnal Green and Bow