[Milton-L] London

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 13:29:02 EDT 2005

>I'm not sure that's such a bad thing--that we'll never feel
safe.

And I'm not sure it's a new thing, either.

I recently read a novel titled "The Domesday Book," by Connie
Willis. It involves a time traveler from the 2050s [I think]
going back to the 14th century. In the present of the novel,
humanity has survived something they call The Pandemic, and
they have great medical knowledge, but an unknown virus [not
a new one, it turns out] plays havoc with Oxford, while the
time traveler who was supposed to land pre-bubonic plague
actually lands in the midst of it. Death is everywhere.
Nobody is safe.

The novel is a strong reminder that humanity lives and has
lived in perilous times, in which death can strike
unexpectedly and [to us] mysteriously randomly.

That evil human agency causes some of these deaths in our own
time - Oklohoma City or 9/11 or Madrid or London - perhaps
makes the sudden randomness of being a victim scarier.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant