[Milton-L] London

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 8 12:04:01 EDT 2005

I'm not sure that's such a bad thing--that we'll never feel safe.
Security is mortals' chiefest enemy, or something like that, as a weird
woman is supposed to have said.  And the last line of Flannery
O'Conner's  "A Good Man is Hard to Find" has stayed with me, and seemed
pertinent with extraordinary frequency, over the decades since I last
read the story:  "She was a good old woman as long it was someone
holding a gun to her head."  That's probably an inaccurate quotation,
but you get the point, I'm sure.  I'd prefer not to have a gun to my
head, obviously.  Yet we're all going to die; it's just a question of
when the gun goes off, and it's best that we keep aware of that
condition so that we can be good old women or men.  The point is how
well we live while we have the chance.

I very much apologize if this seems homiletic or somehow dismissive
(for me, personally, it serves as hard earned wisdom--which may just
show how impoverished I am in that regard).  Anyway, it's an honest
contribution and I don't have an ironic shield for it, so please put a
charitable construction on what I've said.