[Milton-L] Re: Milton-L Digest, Vol 21, Issue 8

Michael Bryson michael.bryson at csun.edu
Thu Jul 7 19:25:22 EDT 2005

Milton's "God," Samson's "God," and George Bush's "God" are
one and the same? How is that possible? (Never mind issues of
literary representation, how about historical--even
biographical--context?)

Perhaps what is the same (or at least deeply similar) is the
certitude of those who "know" that they are doing "God's" will
when they kill, maim, and otherwise destroy. There is
certainly no shortage of people in our era (as there was no
shortage in Milton's) willing to tell the rest of us who God
is, what God wants, and when God wants it. Is Milton now to be
defined as belonging to that category of persons? If so,
how--other than poetic talent--is Milton to be distinguished
from such luminaries as Jerry Falwell?

And as for being offensive and inappropriate...the idea--even
the implicit suggestion--that the free flow of ideas and
discourse should be curtailed because of the violence of
others, certainly qualifies as offensive in my book. Somehow,
I think Milton was accused of being both offensive and
inappropriate, and was fazed by neither charge.

Michael Bryson
California State University, Northridge

>From: "Dr. Carol Barton" <cbartonphd at earthlink.net>
>Date: Thu Jul 7, 2005  1:04:43  PM America/New_York
>To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Milton-L] London
<milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>

>What kind of a God--or demon--can such people follow, that
leads them to
>commit such acts?
>
>God bless and help the victims and their families--and help
Scotland Yard
>and the civilized world apprehend and arrest (in all senses
of the world)
>the depraved monsters who are responsible for the attacks.
>
>May the misery they've caused return to them "an hundredfold."

>What kind of a God?
>
>Milton's God.  Samson's God.  The God to whom George Bush
prayed before he