[Milton-L] London

Ng, Su Fang ngsf at ou.edu
Thu Jul 7 21:06:21 EDT 2005

 I am shocked by what happened today in London and do not think that violence should be condoned.  Yet, I do not see that Carroll Cox had done so when he expressed his sympathy for other victims of violence.  Yes, he was being polemical, but he was responding to Carol Barton's very provocative statement: "May the misery they've caused return to them "an hundredfold."  As she says in a later post, the phrase is from the Old Testament and one that encourages vengeance and further violence.  What good would that do?  What about turning the other cheek?  What about forgiveness?

Sincerely,
Su Fang Ng
U of Oklahoma