[Milton-L] Milton-L and polemic

Alan Rudrum alanrudrum at telus.net
Thu Jul 7 16:39:44 EDT 2005

On 7/7/05, Carolyn Kunin <chaiselongue at earthlink.net> wrote:
 > Carrol,

You are fortunate to live in a world where you may of course express such
 > things without fear of retribution. Most others are not so fortunate.
 >
 > But in my opinion you chose a particularly offensive time and inappropriate
 > place to do so.

It was not Carrol Cox who initiated the polemic on this list.  I wonder: is
there ever an inoffensive time and an appropriate place for the expression
of unvarnished truth?

I am not above this fray; in previous years my wife and I might well have
been walking past Russell Square Tube Station on our way to the British
Library; and we have spent much time this morning checking up on relatives
who work in the City.  But it sickens me to hear politicians talk about
"barbaric" acts (they mean barbarous of course as every Miltonist should
know) without reference to the horror that they themselves have visited
upon equally "innocent" people.

My wife's nephew, who has a law firm in the City, wrote this:

>I delayed going into work today as expecting delivery so fortuitously I
>avoided the chaos.There were 2 explosions quite close to our office which
>was exacuated for a time .
>
>People seem very calm although clearly pretty shocked by the whole thing .
>It is rather a contrast with yesterday when there was a carnival
>atmosphere after the Olympic decision.
>
> From my balcony I can see queues of workers waiting to board river boats
> at Canary Wharf pier to take them west. It is a mini Dunkirk operation
> with all types of leisure boats being drafted in to help.

"But what can war but endless war still breed?"  (quoted or misquoted from
memory, I can't find my Concordance).