[Milton-L]

Walker at geneseo.edu Walker at geneseo.edu
Thu Jul 7 17:27:36 EDT 2005

From: "Dr. Carol Barton" <cbartonphd at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Jul 7, 2005  1:04:43  PM America/New_York
To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] London

What kind of a God--or demon--can such people follow, that leads them to
commit such acts?

God bless and help the victims and their families--and help Scotland Yard
and the civilized world apprehend and arrest (in all senses of the world)
the depraved monsters who are responsible for the attacks.

May the misery they've caused return to them "an hundredfold."

What kind of a God?

Milton's God.  Samson's God.  The God to whom George Bush prayed before he
initiated Operation Shock and Awe -- a much more devastating attack than
today's on innocent bystanders, and (as we are fond of saying of any
attack leveled against the US) a **sneak** attack that caught even CNN off
guard.

How can we call down vengeance without further damning ourselves?

Julia

Julia M. Walker
Professor of English
State University of New York
Geneseo, New York 14454
716/245-5251

"My only regret is that I have not been braver and bolder
and truer in the honest conviction of my soul."
				Elizabeth Cady Stanton

"What is it 'to live a good life'?  It is not less than everything.
It implies no choice, no limitations, no refusal;  for if we have
chosen or limited our sacrifice, it is no longer 'good.'"
				A. Maude Royden