[Milton-L] London, "a hundredfold"

maltzahn at uottawa.ca maltzahn at uottawa.ca
Thu Jul 7 14:53:36 EDT 2005

Perhaps worth recalling that Milton's "a hundredfold" refers not to
vengeance but to the growth of a population to be redeemed, presumably
through conversion from false religion, and "who having learnt thy way, /
Early may fly the Babylonian woe."  Part of the shock of these events is
that there is no evident parity between the harm done and the justice
hoped for.  Also that previous harming, real and perceived, has led to the
fresh propagation of such brutalities against the defenceless and
unexpecting.

Nicholas von Maltzahn