[Milton-L] Milton and St. Peter's Basilica

Alice Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Mon Jul 4 19:24:37 EDT 2005

Is professor Whitaker's question (or any subsequent deduction stemming
from it) art historically or theologically motivated, or both?  If the
former, it may be important to note that Milton almost certainly saw a
comic opera at the Barberini Palace on February 27, 1639 with set
designs by Bernini - this is according to Margaret Byard in the essay I
cited above.  Diane Kelsey McColley's thorough comment quite
convincingly warns us to avoid making easy connections between what
Milton saw and what he described later in images.  I, for one, would
want to know whether the current scholarly fascination with Milton's
images tends toward direct sources, toward a general sense of
inspiration he may have had, or toward a zeitgeist or series of
artistic parallels.  If the question is theologically or politically
motivated, it seems to me that the evidence from John Evelyn's diary
would be important, or the impressions of other non-Catholic visitors.
To what extent should we place importance on what Milton saw?  Are we
saying he may have had a series of visual memories parading before his
mind's eye while dreaming Paradise Lost, or are we suggesting that we
can learn more about his political or religious beliefs by retracing
his steps on a journey he made when he was still quite young?
- Alice Crawford Berghof