[Milton-L] Milton and St. Peter's Basilica

Alice Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Mon Jul 4 13:24:45 EDT 2005

More information: (a few details on the four texts I mentioned
earlier...)
One could consult page 312 and following of the essay "Music of Rome"
in Milton in Italy.  There is a possibility that Milton may have
attended services at St. Peter's, lured by the music.  Given that John
Evelyn attended services there, according to the author of this essay
(Margaret Byard), it seems likely Milton might've as well.  The best
discussion I've seen of Milton and St. Peter's, in general, is chapter
eleven, "Paradise Lost and Roman Baroque" in Roy Daniells' Milton,
Mannerism and Baroque.
- Alice Crawford Berghof

On Jul 4, 2005, at 11:55 AM, jfleming at sfu.ca wrote:

> According to biographers (Arthos, Parker, Lewalski), the meeting took
> place
> at the then-recently-completed Palazzo Barberini on the Quattro
> Fontane. Now
> the National Gallery. JDF
>
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:32:56 -0400 milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:
>> 1639,   18/28   February

>>> 65, that "JM has a private audience with Cardinal Franscesco
>>> Barberini
>>> who
>>> was then Prime Minister of Rome and cheif adviser to his uncle Pope
>>> Urban
>>> VIII. Would this audience have been in the Vatican? If so how close
>>> St.